Thursday, January 4, 2007

How can I help?

Many friends and relatives have heard about the project, and donated money so that we can buy supplies. Over the holidays, over $2,000 was donated, and I became a purchasing agent for the $1,100 worth of supplies (14 cases) purchased to date. My basement is filling up, and my van will be overflowing. Great!!!!! We will have to ship future supplies, but that's not a problem.

Staples has been the supplier where most of the basic supplies have been purchased, and they will ship at no cost. http://www.staples.com/ will take you to their website. Holcomb's Knowplace was a good location for teacher's supplies, and we did find the special "Judy Clock" on-line at ABC Teacher's Supply. I have asked for ten of the teachers to share their needs with us, so we can help them with specific purchases. I expect to have that information soon.

We have set up a bank account at Fifth Third Bank in Columbus, and one can donate directly to that account: The Andrew Jackson Elementary School Charity Fund. If you would like to send checks to me, please email mitch2006@columbus.rr.com for mailing instructions. If you would rather do that, I will continue to communicate with the teachers, and ship to them using the funds in the account. Needless to say, 100% of the funds are used for supplies.

The Assistant Principal at AJE who helped get us started is Lisa Young and her email address is lyoung@stbernard.k12.la.us. I'm sure Lisa can put you in touch with a specific teacher with whom you can "connect", if you would like to go directly to the school. Please let me know if you do, so we can have an overview of what is happening should more coordination is needed.

The school's address is: Andrew Jackson Elementary School, 102 Eighth Street, Chalmatte, LA 70043. AJE is a K through 6th school.

No comments: